Removals and storage in Milborne St Andrew, Dorset
Pitmans offer house removals and commercial removals in Milborne St Andrew, Dorset, with specialist packing services for antiques and fine art. Whether it’s a full house move or a single item, within the UK or across Europe, we offer a professional, safe and friendly service with full insurance, giving you peace of mind throughout the process.
Milborne St Andrew: A potted history
Milborne St Andrew is a village and civil parish in a winterbourne valley on the dip slope of the Dorset Downs, on the A354 nine miles northeast of Dorchester. In the 2011 census the parish had 472 dwellings, 453 households and a population of 1,062.
Weatherby Castle is an Iron Age hill fort that encloses about 17.5 acres (7.1 ha) on a spur of land about 0.75 miles (1.21 km) south of the village. Its structure comprises two concentric enclosures, though parts have been damaged by cultivation and ploughing. Pieces of Roman ware were found within the site in the 19th century.
In 1086 in the Domesday Book Milborne St Andrew was recorded as Meleburne; it had 10 households, four ploughlands, five acres of meadow and one mill. It was in Milborne St Andrew Hundred and the lord and tenant-in-chief was Matthew of Mortagne.
There were originally two settlements within the parish: St Andrew to the south of the Dorchester-Blandford road, and Deverel to the north, though over time these coalesced into one settlement around where the road crosses the Milborne Brook. At the end of the 19th century St Andrew’s ecclesiastical parish was enlarged by the addition of neighbouring Milborne Stileham to the south east (previously part of Bere Regis parish), though the civil parishes remained separate until 1933.
Milborne St Andrew is in the Abbey electoral ward, which also includes Winterborne Kingston, Winterborne Whitechurch, Milton Abbas and Hilton. The ward population in the 2011 census was 3,897.
There are a number of community facilities within the village, including an infants’ school (Milborne St Andrew First School), a public house (the Royal Oak), a parish church (Church of England, dedicated to St Andrew and founded in 1069), and a sports club and pavilion, home of the Milborne Sports Football Club which was nominated Dorset FA Charter Club of the Year in 2008. Milborne Sports Football Club also supports two youth teams. In May 2016 Milborne St Andrew (under 11) came second in the Dorset Youth League Cup.
Thomas Hardy described Milborne St Andrew as Millpond St Jude’s in his novel Far From the Madding Crowd. Weatherby Castle is the ‘tower’ of Hardy’s novel Two on a Tower.
John Morton, the 15th-century Lord Chancellor and Archbishop of Canterbury, was born at Milborne Stileham.
Read more on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milborne_St_Andrew
Want to move to Milborne St Andrew?: Check out properties here: